Jay Vincent (Instagram/Facebook) is a High Intensity Training instructor operating his studio, 2020 Fitness, out of Albany, New York. He’s also a professional fitness model and sponsored MuscleTech Athlete and modelled for popular athletic clothing lines such as Under Armour and appeared in small acting roles for Amazon.com. Jay’s MuscleTech ads have been featured in many popular fitness magazines including FLEX, Muscular Development, Muscle and Fitness, FitnessRx, Ironman and more.
When he can find the time, Jay loves to answer your questions via Jayvincentfitness@gmail.com and also offers distance coaching services.
Jay was an incredible guest. If you love HIT or just want to optimise your training, diet and habits for you and your clients, you will love this!
Here’s two of Jay’s workout routines (he performs 2 workouts per week and won’t repeat the same workout in at least 6 days):
Upper body split
Each exercise is done with a 5-10 second lifting phase and 5-10 second lowering phase.
1 set of each exercise to muscular failure.
– Arm cross – 1 set to failure
Immediately followed by
– Chest Press (nautilus one) break down set
– Seated Row
– Supinated Pull down
– Reverse delt fly
– shoulder press
– bicep curl
– tricep push down
Using a slow rep cadence allows you to eliminate momentum and let the muscle do all of the work along with maximizing muscle fiber recruitment.
It’s not about the exercises you do or how often you do them. It’s HOW you do them – intensely.
Lower body split 2 or 3 days later (when Jay doesn’t feel like he’s been run over by a truck)
Same cadence, single set to failure principle as above.
– Leg extension
Immediately followed by
– Leg press – rest pause/ breakdown set
– Leg curl
– Calf raise
This lower body workout takes around 8-minutes to complete. His total time in the gym is under 40-minutes per week…
“once you understand the basic physiology of it (HIT), any other way just doesn’t make sense to me.”
“I’m not tired, I do not get injured, and I barely spend any time in the gym, who wouldn’t want that to produce maximum results!?”
“I believe the way you look … is almost entirely genetic, and second place comes diet and third places comes your [workout] protocol.”
“We set our own limitations, and we allow our peers to let our limitations for us … so why not set them high?”
- Listen on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
This episode is brought to you by Hituni.com, providers of the best online courses in high intensity training that come highly recommended by Dr Doug McGuff and Discover Strength CEO, Luke Carlson. Course contributors include world class exercise experts like Drew Baye, Ellington Darden and Skyler Tanner. There are courses for both trainers and trainees. So even if you’re not a trainer but someone who practices HIT, this course can help you figure out how to improve your progress and get best results. Check out Hituni.com, add the course you want to your shopping cart and enter the coupon code ‘CW10’ to get 10% off your purchase!
- Jay’s background and training journey [3:45]
- Would Jay get better gains if he extended his recovery periods even more? [13:20]
- Why are there so few people like Jay who are open to HIT? [15:15]
- What does Jay think of college in America? [20:00]
- How did Jay start his personal training business? [21:05]
- How competitive is it to become a fitness model in New York? [24:10]
- Did Jay gain muscular size when he switched from conventional training to HIT? [29:37]
- What are Jay’s views on effective exercise cadence? [34:45]
- How rampant are performance enhancement drugs in the fitness modelling industry? [41:33]
- Is Jay on steroids? [45:20]
- Is training to “near failure” good enough? [47:50]
- How does Jay optimise recovery following training? [51:35]
- How much rest does Jay employ between exercises? [54:05]
- How does Jay organise his workouts? [1:02:18]
- Jay’s diet in detail [1:05:35]
- What does Jay think about fat in coffee and high-fat diets in general? [1:16:55]
- Approximately how many calories does Jay consume per day? [1:21:00]
- Does Jay eat junk food? [1:24:20]
- What supplements does Jay use? [1:28:20]
- Jay’s sleep ritual [1:36:00]
- What does the first 90-minutes of Jay’s day look like? [1:39:00]
- What book has Jay gifted the most? [1:39:45]
- Amazing advice from Jay on managing expectations and optimising exercise intensity [1:40:50]
- Does Jay advocate forced hyperventilation during exercise [1:44:44]
- What are Jay’s business and contribution goals over the next 3 years [1:46:40]
- What marketing platforms is Jay using for his business? [1:49:03]
- The best piece of advice Jay has ever been given [1:54:20]
- What has Jay changed his mind about in the last year? [1:56:20]
Links from Episode
- Dr Doug McGuff’s game-changing presentation on The 21 Convention
- High Intensity Training Workouts by Drew Baye on The 21 Convention
- Doug McGuff’s Big 5
- Exercise bell curve (Non-responders on the far left, average responders in the middle, strong responders on the far right).
- MedX Equipment
- The 4 Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat Loss, Incredible Sex and Becoming Superhuman by Tim Ferriss (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Grass-fed Kerrygold butter
- MuscleTech Mission1 Protein Bar (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Why We Get Fat: And What to Do about It by Gary Taubes (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health by Gary Taubes (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- MuscleTech Creatine (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- MuscleTech Protein Powder (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- MuscleTech Fish Oil (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Vitamin D (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- MuscleTech Multi-Vitamins (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- MuscleTech Amino Build (BCAAs) (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity, and Disease by Robert H. Lustig, M.D. (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Body by Science: A Research Based Program to Get the Results You Want in 12 Minutes a Week by John R. Little and Dr Doug McGuff (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- The Body By Science Question and Answer Book by John R. Little and Dr Doug McGuff (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Dr Doug McGuff Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3
- Drew Baye Part 1 and Part 2
- Fred Hahn Interview
- Tim Ferriss
- Gary Taubes
- Keith Norris Part 1 and Part 2
- Stuart Wilde
- Dr Doug McGuff on Fat Loss
What did you find most profound in this interview? Post your comment below!