“Stick at it.” – Simon’s advice to his 20-year-old self.
Simon Shawcross (Simon[@]hituni.com) is the Founder and a Director of HITuni.com, the leading provider of online education in High Intensity Training and certification courses in HIT for personal trainers and those wanting to become personal trainers.
As a Master Personal Trainer himself, specialising in High Intensity Training, Simon has the wealth of sixteen years experience working in the field and he has personally supervised over 20,000 client workouts. Prior to entering the world of fitness and personal training, Simon achieved a BA Honours in Business Administration Management and Marketing Management at Oxford Brookes University.
As a public speaker and presenter on topics relating to peak mental and physical performance, Simon has helped organisations in the corporate world and individuals achieve their peak performance, wellbeing and health goals.
Simon’s fascination with the impact that food has on the human body led to a continuing exploration of the field of nutrition as well as exercise resulting in Simon co-authoring nutrition book The ONE Diet. He was also the Fitness Editor of Reflective Image magazine and has written regular fitness columns for two local London newspapers. Simon’s current written work is regularly released online at HITuni.com/blog and through the HITuni courses.
To listen to my first interview with Simon, click here.
While we do touch on exercise and nutrition, I deliberately focus on stress management, productivity, goal setting and business in this interview. Having met Simon several times, he is a focused entrepreneur who is successful at balancing fitness, stress management and a social life with massive creative output. This is not typical with most entrepreneurs that I have come to know, who grind day and night and, in most cases, pay little attention to long term health, a social life, or other creative pursuits, etc.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
This episode is brought to you by Hituni.com, providers of the best online courses in high intensity training that come highly recommended by Dr Doug McGuff and Discover Strength CEO, Luke Carlson. Course contributors include world class exercise experts like Drew Baye, Ellington Darden and Skyler Tanner. There are courses for both trainers and trainees. So even if you’re not a trainer but someone who practices HIT, this course can help you figure out how to improve your progress and get best results. Check out Hituni.com, add the course you want to your shopping cart and enter the coupon code ‘CW10’ to get 10% off your purchase!
- How has Simon’s beard and new haircut improved his strength and muscle mass? [5:20]
- Simon’s fasting protocol [6:20]
- Why has Simon decided to reduce his caffeine consumption? [8:05]
- How often does Simon drink coffee with fat? [18:12]
- How to find high quality eggs [21:30]
- What has changed about Simon’s workout? [27:38]
- A practical trick to eliminate the judgement of others for a healthier mind [39:20]
- Negative thoughts about self or others and their negative impact on productivity [41:15]
- How to optimise eustress (increase productivity) in a busy office environment [45:00]
- How does Simon structure his working day? [51:30]
- A very effective movement practice [57:20]
- Meditation techniques [1:03:30]
- What are the proven benefits of meditation? [1:10:15]
- Effective goal setting techniques [1:11:45]
- What is HITuni.com? [1:17:03]
- What have been the biggest challenges in creating HITuni? [1:21:55]
- Will/does HITuni.com provide neuroscience related content? [1:24:40]
- Simon’s advice for anyone starting an internet-based business [1:30:25]
- What has Simon changed his mind about in exercise in the last year? [1:32:50]
- In the last 5 years, when has Simon felt the most successful? [1:34:15]
- What advice would Simon give his 20-year-old self? [1:36:20]
- What is something that Simon considers true that no one agrees with him on? [1:39:15]
Selected Links from the Episode
- Choline Supplement (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- The Bulletproof Diet: Lose up to a Pound a Day, Reclaim Energy and Focus, Upgrade Your Life by Dave Asprey (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Green Pasture – Fermented Cod Liver Oil (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Swanson Vitamin D (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Has Bean Coffee
- Ocado (online food shopping)
- Clarence Court Burford Browns Eggs
- Body by Science: A Research Based Program for Strength Training, Body building, and Complete Fitness in 12 Minutes a Week by Dr Doug McGuff and John R. Little (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Bod Pod
- A Balanced Life : Managing Stress, Nutrition, & Exercise by Simon Shawcross
- Tai Chi
- The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich by Tim Ferriss (Amazon US / Amazon UK)